First off it’s pronounced | my-sell-er |
This product has been used in France for centuries when the water in France was too harsh for use on the faces of Parisian women. It, like things usually do, found it’s way to America in the cases of makeup artists and models who worked in France.
It looks just like water and feel kinda like water with a bit of a different texture. It contains NO alcohol so for my dry skin girls this is an awesome product for you.
So, what is it?
It is a mixture of purified water with some hydrating ingredients like glycerin, and mild surfactants forming a kind of cleansing oil. I’m no chemist for sure but basically these surfactants form together to become micelles (tiny balls of cleansing oil). These micelles act like magnets that draw the dirt, oil, makeup, or any other gross stuff off your face and onto the cotton ball.
They are great at removing trapped oil but they won’t dry your face.
Micellar water can remove an entire face of makeup but it will have some issues removing heavy foundations or waterproof mascara. If you wear those you may have to use a separate makeup remover.
This is a multifunctional product that can fill so many rolls in our beauty routines.
- It can be used as a toner || Since this product draws out all the oil and gunk on your face all the while rinsing your pores. Many toners have alcohol and other drying ingredients which isn’t always good for some skin tones. Dry skinned girls for example, would love this as a toner.
- Make-up Remover || This will gently clean away makeup from your face and eyes (again, remember the waterproof mascara bit) without being a huge hassle. I mean I’m not gonna lie sometimes it’s a struggle to get out the wipes and the cleanser, then wash my face. Since this is alcohol free, you can use it around your eyes without that burning feel!
- Cleansing without Rinsing || This is oil-free. Therefore you don’t have to wash your face after using it. Since you aren’t rinsing you get to leave behind all those nourishing moisturizers that make up miceller water. I will sometimes cleanse with my favorite cleansing cream but use this afterwards.
- Refresh Your Skin On The Go || Let’s just say you’re a gal who frequents the gym…I mean, I’m not, but you might be. If you are this is a perfect product to toss into your gym bag to wipe your face post-workout.
- Cleaning Your Makeup Brushes || All those beautiful makeup brushes hanging out on your vanity or your makeup bag, well, they need to be washed. It’s a pain, I know, but necessary. Anyway, this is a great product for that.
There are a few good Micellar options from the drugstore that would be awesome products for you to give a try!
This one is the drugstore OG micellar water. It caused quite a stir when it hit drugstore shelves. I read one reviewer who said that she uses this to cleanse every morning, instead of washing her face.
This drugstore favorite is fragrance-free making it a good choice for girls with sensitive skin. The Simple website says, “It instantly boosts skin hydration by 90%.” It’s ingredient list includes Vitamin B3, Vitamin C and Triple Purified Water.